High Heels & Clean Floors
All I really want out of life….in that order.
I’ve decided I need another blog. Writing about raising Drew who is growing up on the autism spectrum is incredibly healing and I feel that it is a great way to talk about what it’s like to navigate that world. However, I have lately felt hemmed in by only writing about that. Like all moms, I have other sides to my life. In between fielding phone calls from the school, making appointments with our specialists and worrying about how Drew is faring during his day, I participate in many other things. Cleaning, laundry, chauffeuring…um, shoe shopping…that’s just a short list of other things that fill my day.
NICE TITLE. IS IT A METAPHOR?
No…I really mean it. All I really want out of life is a killer pair of heels and for my floors to stay clean longer than 5 minutes.
THE SECOND PART FIRST
I like to clean. To be very clear, I am not obsessive. I don’t own stock in antibacterial wipe companies and I don’t have a Dustbuster in a holster on my belt ready at a moment’s notice. However, I do enjoy the act of cleaning. I can tell you with complete honesty that buying any cleaning product makes me happy...a new mop, a brand-new bottle of Pine-Sol, a fresh can of my favorite glass cleaner (it’s Sprayway, in case you are curious…you can get it at Walmart and it’s awesome...I gave cans away as gifts to friends one Christmas...seriously). When I run out or need to replace my cleaning supplies, I am thrilled. Cleaning is zen for me. The pushing back and forth of my Oreck (you can imagine how excited I was when I got THAT cleaning tool) is calming. The smell of Pine-Sol (original scent, please) is relaxing to me. Watching the dust stick to my dust cloth (old cloth diaper) gives me a sense of accomplishment. I do my best thinking when I clean.
I was raised by a very clean mom and my first "job" was cleaning our house when I was a kid. I learned from the best. With all due respect to Mom, one shoe in the middle of an otherwise perfectly neat room made the room a disaster. I am not at that level and have let many, many things go being a mom.
THE FIRST PART SECOND
Do I have to explain? I love shoes. I have over 100 pairs and some of them I have had for 20 years. I remember watching my mother get dressed for her job as an administrative assistant at a major cancer hospital in Houston and I paid close attention to her shoes. Much like her penchant for cleaning, I also was given the gift of shoe love. I always wanted a ton of shoes. Mission accomplished.
The perfect pair of high heels makes me feel like a girl and they make my legs look really nice. I buy inexpensive shoes. I rarely splurge. My most favorite pair of high heels would probably be a two-tone pair of 1980s (or maybe 90s) Chanel pumps. I found them at a garage sale for $5!!!! I nearly fell on the ground. Just between you and me, they don't actually fit anymore since I had my kids. It's devastating but I'll never get rid of them.
So...if you need someone to clean for you, let me know. If you have cute shoes you don't want anymore (size 7 1/2 or 8), send them my way.
No comments:
Post a Comment